2014/01/02

Care : Top 5 Oils for Long Hair


Hello Lovelies!

I have wanted to write this post and share my extensive knowledge ehem of 5 years of testing nearly every oil that is available with you :) First of all we are talking about natural, unrefined high quality oils here. Try to buy the best quality that you can find to maximise the effect they have on your hair. Look for labels like extra virgin or organic.


1. Coconut Oil! 
Every girl with long hair needs to have a bottle in her closet! The unrefined version smells heavenly, the effect is amazing if you continue to use it over a long time. I use nearly 5 tablespoons and apply it on my dry hair , let it sit overnight or 30 min- 2 h before every wash. Maybe this is what made the biggest difference while I was growing my hair. You can also try fun fragrance versions like Dabur Vatika and Monoi. 

2. Argan Oil
My second favourite oil is argan oil. I love the effect even more than coconut oil, but it is really expensive and if you are a poor student like me, it is going to be hard to use it in the same splendid way as coconut oil. Argan oil is a rich oil with a runny texture, that will soak up into your hair easier than coconut oil. It can smell funny, so do test different brands and don't give up. I had once a bottle that smelled horrible like goats, the newer one I have smells just nutty. It is a great eye make up remover btw! Just add a few drops on a damp cotton ball and gently press on your lids.

3. Olive Oil
Olive oil is just a basic oil that will always be available even if you travel a lot like I do. It is very affordable and a great oil to mix with your favourite conditioners ( 3 tablespoons) and honey (1 tablespoon) for a extra bit of care and shine. It is a very heavy oil that I use best with any rinse out method, I do not use it as a leave in because my hair will not completely soak it up like argan oil.

4. Almond Oil
Almond oil is a light oil with a very nice runnier texture. It is very nice to use on an irritated scalp and a nice prewash oil as well as leave in oil. If your hair does not need a lot of care you can try almond oil if the other oils have been to heavy for your fine hair.

5.Avocado Oil
Avocado oil has the ability to smooth out frizz. It should be a deep rich green colour and has a slightly fruity smell. It a medium to heavy oil that is great if added to your shampoo and conditioner bottles (1 tablespoon per 200 ml bottle). It is very nourishing and nice on atopic skin as well. 

These oils definitely make my top 5! 

If I tell you now what oils I have used and tested over the last years you will think I am crazy :D I will tell you anyways because we all know that I am a bit nuts over oils ^^.
I am doing oil treatments on my hair before every wash so I use up a lot as you can see. I also constantly use them on my ends and as a leave in in between washes.

Oils I have tested so far include : Coconut oil, grape seed oil, macadamia nut oil, almond oil, argan oil, sesame oil, hazelnut oil, argan oil, olive oil, avocado oil, rizinus / castor oil, babassu oil, walnut oil, jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil, peanut oil.


How are your experiences with hair oils? Next on my list to test are Amla Oils from Khadi :)
Love, Zoey.

4 Kommentare:

  1. Nice post!
    Personally, i adore sesame oil :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Mhmm, Kokosnuss Öl mit Vanille-Duft. Mein persönlicher Favorit.
    Alle anderen Öle scheitern meistens am Geruch (da bin ich eitel) ^^
    Danke für´s teilen

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. il mio olio preferito è quello di camelia giapponese, e un olio leggerissimo e rende i capelli meravigliosi!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Macadamiaöl liefert bei mir die besten Ergebnisse, ich gebe wenige Tropfen davon nach dem Waschen ins Haar. Meine Haare saugen es sehr gut auf, noch besser als Mandelöl, was auch schon recht gut klappt. Mein Mac-Öl ist nur leicht geröstet und geruchlich nicht zu intensiv, ich habe es aus dem Bio-Supermarkt.

    AntwortenLöschen

I am happy about every single comment, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Love, Zoey.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...